How to cook Nigerian Yam Pepper Soup
Assorted Meat Pepper Soup is an appetizer but when we want to have Pepper Soup as a main meal we serve it with a staple food such as boiled white rice or we add yam when preparing the pepper soup.
Ingredients for Yam Pepper Soup
- 1.5kg (3.3 lbs) assorted beef. I used:
- Shaki (cow tripe)
- 1kg yam (white puna yam)
- 3 teaspoons ground ehu seeds (Calabash nutmeg, ariwo)
- Scent leaves (Nchuanwu, Efirin)
- 2 onions
- Habanero or Chilli Pepper (to taste)
- 2 big seasoning cubes
- Salt (to taste)
Before you cook Yam Pepper Soup
- Peel and cut the yam tuber into medium cubes. Rinse and set aside.
- Peel and grind the ehu seeds with a dry mill.
- Slice the onions, scent leaves and the pepper.
- Cut the beef into bite sizes.
- We start cooking the toughest meat first that is the cow tripe. Put in a pot, add the seasoning cubes and one of the onions (diced).
- Pour water to cover the contents and start cooking on medium heat. Keep an eye on it and top up the water when necessary.
- After 30 minutes, add the fleshy part of beef and continue cooking.
- After 15 minutes, add the heart and the kidney, yam cubes, the second onion (diced), salt and continue cooking. Add water to the same level as the contents of the pot if necessary.
- When the yam is soft and a little porridge starts to form, add the sliced pepper and the scent leaves.
- Stir, cover and cook for 2 minutes and it is done!
This Yam Pepper Soup is different from Ji Mmiri Oku, the special Yam Pepper Soup for new Mums so everyone can enjoy this.