Baked Yam and Cheese
Baked Yam and Cheese is a whole new way to enjoy the yam staple. It is the perfect balanced diet.
- 800g (1.8 lbs) white puna yam
- 800g plum tomatoes
- 300g cheese
- 300g white fish eg Whiting, Panga (Spanish) or Cord
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cubes frozen spinach
- 1 Habanero pepper or to taste
- 1 big stock cube
- About 4 cooking spoonfuls vegetable oil (for frying)
Before you prepare the Baked Yam and Cheese
- Wash and blend the tomatoes.
- Blend, pound or cut up the habanero peppers.
- Cut the onions into tiny pieces, cut the white fish into small cubes.
- Peel and cut the yams into small cubes.
- Defrost and cut up the frozen spinach then wringe out all the water from it.
- Grate the cheese and set aside.
Make the Stew
- Boil the tomato blend till all the water has dried.
- Add the vegetable oil and onions and fry till all the tangy taste of the tomatoes is gone. This is the done the same way as Tomato Stew.
- Add the pepper, stock cube (crushed), stir and add the white fish.
- Cover and cook till the fish is done. I use Panga and this takes at most 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, stir and take the stew off the stove immediately.
Boil the yam
- Put the yam pieces in a pot and pour water to the same level as the yams.
- Boil till the yam is done to your liking. I like mine well done and soft and it takes about 7 minutes on medium heat because the yam pieces are small.
- Once you are happy, remove the yams from the water and set aside.
Layer and bake
- Set your oven to 200°C (390°F) to preheat.
- Scoop the stew into a baking tray and spread it out to cover the base of the tray as much as possible.
- Add the yam pieces on top of the stew, once again speading them out to cover the stew.
- Finally, sprinkle the grated cheese on top of everything.
- Bake till the cheese have melted.
- Bring out from the oven and leave to cool down a bit for about 5 minutes. This gives the cheese some time to set.
It is ready to be served. Cut into it like you would a cake.