Vegetable & Shrimp Sauce
And very easy to prepare.
- 10 shrimps
- 1 medium bowl ugu leaves
- 2 cooking spoons vegetable oil
- 2 sweet peppers (paprika)
- 2 habanero peppers or to taste
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- 2 small stock cubes
- Salt (to taste)
You will also need the staple food that you will serve with the Vegetable and Shrinp Sauce. I will be using yam (white puna yam).
- Yam or
- Rice or
- Potatoes or
Notes on the ingredients
- If you do not have sweet peppers (paprika), use tatashe. But remember that while sweet peppers are not spicy hot, tatashe is very spicy hot. You can also use red bell peppers which are not spicy hot.
- If you do not have ugu, use spinach. You can also use green amaranth if you do not mind the taste.
- Habanero pepper is atarodo, ose oyibo or atarugu.
Before you cook the Vegetable Sauce
I am assuming that you have thoroughly washed all the ingredients that need to be washed.
- Peel the shrimps if they are not already peeled.
- Dice the onions, the sweet peppers (deseeded) and the habanero peppers.
- Slice the ugu leaves.
- Start preparing the staple that you will serve it with. I am using yam so i cut and peel the yam, rinse, put in a pot and add water to cover it.
- Start cooking the yam.
- On another burner, set the frying pan or pot and pour the vegetable oil.
- When hot, add some of the diced onions.
- Add the shrinps and sautee for 7 minutes, stirring it all the time.
- When slightly brown, remobe the shrimps from the frying pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining onions into the oil in the frying pan and fry for about 3 minutes or till slightly brown.
- Add the diced peppers and fry for 5 minutes.
- Crush and add the stock cubes, salt and the black pepper.
- Stir and add the sliced ugu and stir very well.
- Add the fried shrimps, stor and it is done!
Serve with the boiled white yam. Yum!