How to make Coleslaw
Coleslaw simply means cabbage salad. It is a blend of finely shredded cabbage, carrots and a few other crunchy vegetables. It is then generously dressed with mayonnaise and salad cream.
Coleslaw is usually served chilled to allow the dressing settle into the vegetables.
- 1 small cabbage
- 1 small green bell pepper
- ½ tin of green peas
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 5 tablespoons of salad cream (preferably Heinz Classic Salad Cream)
- 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- A pinch of salt
All the vegetables need to be washed.
- Cut the cabbage, green bell pepper and onions into very tiny pieces.
- Scrape and shred the carrots using a grater, then use a knife to cut across the shreds to make the pieces even smaller.
- Put the cabbage, green pepper, green peas, onions and carrots into a large bowl and stir till you get a good mix.
- In a separate, smaller bowl, mix the salad cream, mayonnaise, sugar and salt.
- Pour the cream mix into the bowl of vegetables and stir very well.
- Chill and serve.
Note: If you prefer the coleslaw creamier, you can increase the quantity of the salad cream. Feel free to add a pinch of ground pepper if you like it spicy.