How to Prepare Steamed Veggies
In Nigeria, we steam leafy green vegetables and serve it with most Nigerian Rice recipes: Jollof Rice, Coconut Rice, Rice & Beans, Concoction Rice, White Rice & Stew (including Ofe Akwu). These steamed vegetables are also great with Fried Plantains and Nigerian Moi Moi.
You only need these 4 ingredients.
- 300g or medium bunch green leafy vegetables. You can use any of the following:
- Green Amaranth
- Nigerian Pumpkin leaves (Ugu)
- 1 big onion
- 1 habanero pepper (atarodo)
- 1 small Knorr cube
- You do not need salt for this recipe. The steamed veggies garnish is well seasoned by the Knorr cube.
- Wash and slice the vegetables, onion and pepper.
- Set a clean dry pot on the stove and set the heat to medium.
- Add the sliced onion and pepper.
- Crush and spread the Knorr cube on the onion and pepper.
- Add the sliced vegetables.
- Cover the pot and steam for 3 minutes. This is so that the vegetables are not overcooked.
- Stir very well and it is done.