Kankaran Tsamiya (Frozen Tamarind Juice)
Kankaran Tsamiya is frozen extract from the tsamiya (tamarind) fruit. This is a Northern Nigerian licky-licky enjoyment! LOL
Tamarind (second image above) has a sweet and sour taste. It is in the same family as Velvet Tamarind which is more popular.
Ingredients for Kankaran Tsamiya
You only need 2 ingredients. The quantity of water you need for a given quantity of tamarinds depends on how concentrated you want your Kankaran Tsamiya.
- Tamarind (tsamiya)
- Lukewarm water
You will also need:
- A container for freezing them. You can also use transparent plastic bags.
- A fine sieve
- A freezer
- Peel and soak the tamarinds in lukewarm water.
- When soft, mash them up or rub in a sieve till you get a smooth puree. Watch the video below to see me extract the juice from the tamarind fruit (process starts at time 1:00). For best extraction, I remove the seeds from the tamarind before soaking them.
- Pour the mashed mixture through a fine sieve.
- Pour the extract into containers and place in the freezer overnight. For the ones in the image above, I used heart shaped ice cube tray. I placed toothpicks in the cups of the ice cube tray before freezing.
- When completely frozen, remove from the ice cube trays and lick immediately. That's it!
Lick like ice lollies on a hot day!
If you have any questions about this recipe, click here to ask me.